- Over 4.8 million Syrians have sought refuge in other countries.
- Over 6.3 million Syrians are internally displaced in Syria.
- Over 13.5 million Syrians are in need of humanitarian relief.
- Over 85% of those remaining in Syria live in poverty, with 69% living under $2 a day
- 1.75 million children in Syria are out of school.
Terror and indiscriminate violence have devastated the Syrian landscape, destroying homes, schools, hospitals, public buildings, businesses, roads, and utility systems. Fighting forces are blocking civilian access to food, water and much needed health services. Temporary shelters have sprung up to accommodate displaced families. The nature of these conditions present public health challenges and issues with basic sanitation.
Syria’s children are physically at risk of dehydration, diarrhea and waterborne diseases from unsafe water sources. Their future is in the balance due to a lack of educational infrastructure and services.